The Chief Executive Officer (CEO) is a new position, replacing the current pro bono CEO and Founder, who will become the Board Chair. The CEO will be responsible for leading the evolution of and implementing the strategic plan of the organization and managing overall operations. Other key responsibilities include fundraising, communications, and community outreach. The successful candidate will report directly to the Board.
Strategy and Leadership
• Collaborate with the Chair, President (a recently retired Colonel and former chief prosecutor of the US Air Force), and Board of Directors to refine and implement the organization’s strategic plan and create associated operational plans to ensure that the budget, staff, and priorities are aligned with POD’s core mission and objectives.
• Develop plans to advance POD’s objectives with Congress, Executive Branch officials, other NGOs, media, and influencers and partner with the President to execute these initiatives.
• Develop an efficient organizational structure necessary to fulfill mission; evaluate current roles and staff to determine whether structure supports goals and objectives.
• Develop an annual goal setting process to ensure resources (staff, funding, etc.) are focused on the high impact work necessary to achieve desired outcomes.
• Provide inspirational leadership and direction to POD team members, and ensure the continued development and management of a professional and efficient organization.
• Cultivate a strong and transparent working relationship with the Chair to ensure open communication regarding the measurement of financial, programmatic, and impact performance against stated milestones and goals.
• In partnership with the Board Chair, help build a diverse, creative, experienced and inclusive Board representative of the community that is highly engaged and willing to leverage and secure resources.
• Ensure that the flow of funds permits POD to make continuous progress towards achievement of its mission and that meets present needs and future potential.
• Formulate and execute comprehensive development, communications, and branding strategies that will enhance revenue from individual donors and foundations.
• Build fundraising budget reflecting revenues needed to support operations and ensure organizational resources are in place to achieve financial goals.
• Explore alternative revenue streams as appropriate; speakers’ bureau, consulting etc.
• In partnership with President and Board Chair ensure the delivery of high-quality policy reform proposals and timely and relevant movement and coalition building, advocacy and services.
• Recruit, develop and motivate the organization’s staff.
• Develop HR policies needed to create positive culture of achievement.
• Facilitate collaboration and promote a positive, multicultural work environment that supports consistency throughout the organization’s strategy, operations, communications, fundraising and data collection.
• Oversee the financial status of the organization including developing long- and short- range financial plans; monitor the budget and ensure sound financial controls; set priorities and develop policies (including Audit) to ensure the organization is operating in a manner that supports the strategic plan, meeting the needs of our programs, projects and staff.
• Develop technology strategy for POD and ensure systems and platforms are in place to support organizational objectives
• Lead staff and allies to implement and build upon POD’s programs and other functions, such as
• Public Education and Advocacy,
• Marketing and Media Relations,
• Congressional Relations,
• DOD Advisory Relations,
• Programs: POD’s Pro Bono Network, Education & Training, Survivor Support Network
• Military Justice Reform Coalition
Desired Skills and Qualifications
• Looking for a courageous, politically astute leader; a strategic self-starter with the ability to set clear priorities and delegate and implement effectively; keen analytical skills; organizational and problem solving skills, which support and enable sound decision making. Demonstrated financial acumen. Technology savvy.
• A Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience, with an MBA, MPA, or related advanced degree helpful.
• At least ten years of overall professional experience in related function.
• Prior nonprofit experience ideal; public policy, advocacy, movement building, or campaign experience important.
• Significant strategic planning, board development, fundraising, communications, and fiscal management experience needed.
• Excellent coalition building skills with the ability to communicate and work effectively with a variety of internal and external stakeholders; a persuasive, diplomatic negotiator able to achieve consensus among differing opinions.
• Outstanding presentation and communication skills and the experience and proclivity to be an outgoing spokesperson, relationship builder, and fundraiser.
• Superb analytical and professional writing ability.
• Strong commitment to the professional development of staff; successful track record of recruiting and retaining a diverse, high performing team.
• Background in criminal justice or military law and policy or prior military service is beneficial but not required.
• Bi-lingual (English/Spanish) desirable.
Click here to apply
Please mention that you saw the job on Issues in Science and Technology