I.M. Systems Group Inc., (www.imsg.com), a contractor to the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA), seeks an economist to conduct natural resource damage assessments for oil spills and hazardous waste sites. This individual will work with NOAA’s Assessment and Restoration Division under the Damage Assessment, Remediation, and Restoration Program (DARRP- www.DARRP.noaa.gov/) in the areas of economics for damage assessments, methods development, and technical support for policy initiatives. This position is located in NOAA’s Silver Spring, Maryland offices.
The Assessment and Restoration Division’s mission is to protect and restore coastal and marine resources injured by the release of oil or hazardous substances or direct physical impacts such as vessel groundings. Responsibilities of the incumbent will include: conducting economic assessments to determine the appropriate type and scale of restoration to compensate the public for natural resource injuries; working as part of an interdisciplinary team of scientists and attorneys on natural resource damage assessment cases; providing technical support to the NOAA Office of General Counsel and the Department of Justice in natural resource damage litigation; managing research conducted by academic experts and consulting firms; and developing improved, cost-effective methods and procedures for conducting natural resource damage assessments.
• Employee shall provide technical support for the successful design and conduct of natural resource damage assessments.
• Employee shall conduct economic research and evaluate alternative damage assessment methods. Methods will focus on scaling the level of restoration necessary to compensate the public and the environment for natural resource injuries.
• Employee shall maximize contributions to the office by enhancing personal professional development via identifying and seeking appropriate training and participation in professional meetings.
• Master’s or Doctorate degree in economics, preferably in one of more of the following sub-disciplines: environmental, natural resource, or agricultural economics; or environmental policy with an emphasis in quantitative economic analysis.
• Strong verbal and writing skills.
• Strong computer and analytical skills
• Self-motivated, energetic, strategic thinker
• US Citizenship required.
• Experience in valuing natural resources and environmental goods and services.
• Knowledge of damage assessment procedures mandated by CERCLA and OPA.
• Experience working in litigation.
• Experience working on interdisciplinary teams.
Technical writing sample is required. Please send to Ginger Hammonds at email@example.com
Please apply directly to our career portal: https://careers-imsg.icims.com
(NOA1791 Environnemental/Natural Resource Economist ). Include your resume, three references with contact information and a cover letter explaining how your qualifications meet the requirements of the position. Please also indicate your timeline of availability and preferred salary level for consideration.
IMSG offers an outstanding overall Benefit Package including company paid leave, medical, dental, vision, and 401K. IMSG is an Equal Opportunity Employer and Veteran Friendly.
Click here to apply
Please mention that you saw the job on Issues in Science and Technology