I.M. Systems Group, Inc. (IMSG) is seeking candidates to support the Environmental Modeling Center (EMC) of the National Centers for Environmental Prediction (NCEP) on the development of a three-dimensional, rapidly updating, high-resolution analysis system. The project objective is to record the best single estimate of the convective-scale, atmospheric state for situational awareness, the creation of an analysis of record, and verification/validation.
● Work as a part of team toward the development and support of a three-dimensional, sub-hourly, high-resolution data assimilation system as a part of the real time mesoscale analysis (RTMA) project.
● The assimilation of conventional, satellite, aircraft, lightning, and especially radar observations using the Gridpoint Statistical Interpolation (GSI) data assimilation system.
● Running the RTMA system on high performance computing architecture.
● Collaboration with project partners, regular reporting, and publishing of pertinent results.
● PhD in Atmospheric Science, or related physical or mathematical science.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
● Two or more years of experience in data assimilation.
● Knowledge of Fortran.
● Experience in two or more of the following areas is required: Python, radar data assimilation, GSI, variational and/or ensemble data assimilation methods, working with observations, and convection-permitting modeling.
● Experience with running complex jobs, and processing large amounts of numerical output on supercomputers in a Fortran/UNIX environment, using advanced statistical and display tools (knowledge of Python is desirable).
● Experience working in a fast-paced, team environment. Good written and oral communication skills are highly desirable.
● The desire and ability to learn and develop scientific capability is essential.
● Ability to obtain all necessary security clearances for access to NCEP operational computer systems (requires permanent resident status or US citizen).
Please apply directly to our career portal: https://careers-imsg.icims.com
(NOA1790 Support Scientist-3D RTMA Program ). Include your resume, three references with contact information and a cover letter explaining how your qualifications meet the requirements of the position. Please indicate your timeline of availability and preferred salary level for consideration.
IMSG offers an outstanding overall Benefit Package including company paid leave, medical, dental, vision, and 401K. IMSG is an Equal Opportunity Employer and Veteran Friendly.
Click here to apply
Please mention that you saw the job on Issues in Science and Technology