I.M. Systems Group, Inc. (IMSG), www.imsg.com (http://www.imsg.com/
), a Federal Government Contractor, is seeking to fill a position for a Support Scientist to work at NOAA's Environmental Modeling Center (EMC) of the National Centers for Environmental Prediction (NCEP) located in College Park, MD. The successful candidate will support the EMC in transitioning research and development work related to ensemble and probabilistic forecasting into operational use. Depending on requirements, the candidate will work on NCEP future global ensemble forecast system (GEFS) to improve the performance of week 3&4 (sub-season) forecast and high impact weather (HIW) prediction. A candidate will be required to work closely with model developers, the Climate Testbed of Climate Prediction Center (CPC) and other users to run the GEFS extended forecast to support the North American Multi-Model Ensemble (NMME) project for sub- seasonal forecasts, to evaluate the performance of GEFS and NMME forecasts for sub-season.
• Candidates must have experience in numerical modeling, probabilistic forecasting in particular.
• Must have experience and interest in two or more of the following areas of ensemble and related techniques: The interaction of atmosphere, land, ocean and sea ice; Tropical climate dynamics; Modeling with physics parameterization and/or stochastic perturbation; Assessing and representing
model related forecast uncertainties; Statistical post-process and probabilistic verification.
• Must also have experience with running complex jobs, and processing large amounts of numerical output data on mainframe supercomputers and/or workstations in a FORTRAN/UNIX environment, using advanced statistical and display tools.
• Position requires a Ph.D. or M.S. (with 2 more years of relevant experience) in Atmospheric Science, or a related physical or applied mathematical science.
• Candidates who are able to work well in a team environment, to service user requirements, and those with good written and oral communication skills will have an advantage.
• Candidates with experience in High Performance Computer (HPC) and NCEP’s systems, especially the
global ensemble forecast system, will also have an advantage.
Please apply directly to our career portal: https://careers-imsg.icims.com
(NOA1772 Support Scientist – Ensemble Forecasting for sub-season). Be sure to include your resume and cover letter explaining how your qualifications meet the requirements of the position. Please indicate your timeline of availability and preferred salary level for consideration.
Please include information regarding your current U.S. citizenship or current visa status.
IMSG offers an outstanding overall Benefit Package including company paid leave, medical, dental, vision, and
401K. IMSG is an Equal Opportunity Employer and Veteran Friendly.
Click here to apply
Please mention that you saw the job on Issues in Science and Technology