I.M. Systems Group, Inc. (IMSG) (www.imsg.com), a science and technical company supporting U.S. Federal Government, located in Rockville, Maryland is currently seeking to hire a Support Scientist to join our team efforts to support NOAA/NESDIS/Center for Satellite Applications Research (STAR). IMSG supports STAR in applied science research and development efforts in a semi-research and semi-operational working environment along with U.S. government scientists, visiting scientists, and other contractors. This task is to support the STAR JPSS Land Team.
Develop satellite algorithms for land surface products characterizing vegetation condition (NDVI, EVI, GVF, LAI, fPAR). Retrieve land surface variables from multi-platform and multi-spectrum satellite measurements. Major activities include but not limited to the following:
• A “land Watch” webpage/server prototype development
• Update SNPP VIIRS vegetation algorithm/products for JPSS
• Develop software tools for “land Watch” webpage/server data ingestion.
• Proxy Data Collection for Algorithm Development and Testing
• Create product documentation
• Collaborate with NCEP/EMC (NOAA user) to facilitate the use of the new near real-time JPSS vegetation products in NCEP NWP models
• Support STAR Enterprise Algorithm activities
• Self-motivated scientist with M.S. degree in physical sciences
• Strong programming background using Java, C, C++, FORTRAN 90, and IDL
• Experience working with HDF-4/5, GRIB/GRIB2/NetCDF data formats
• Experience working with VIIRS, MODIS, AVHRR, Landsat/ETM+ and other comparable satellite imagery.
• Understanding the retrieval of GVF from AVHRR and VIIRS data
• Experience working with web development and Software Configuration Management
• Team-work oriented; strong communication skills (oral and written)
• Experience in applying the principles of radiative transfer for inferring surface properties from satellite observations, especially for uses of moderate and medium resolution optical imager instrument data
• Experience writing peer-reviewed articles for journal publications
• Experience in the development, testing or maintenance of science algorithms used to produce environmental data products
Please note this position requires a US citizenship or Green Card holder.
Please apply directly to our career portal or website: www.imsg.com or https://careers-imsg.icims.com
, (NOA 1782-Support Scientist STAR JPSS Land Team. Include your resume, three references with contact information and a cover letter explaining how your qualifications meet the requirements of the position. Please indicate your timeline of availability and preferred salary level for consideration.
IMSG offers an outstanding overall Benefit Package including company paid leave, medical, dental, vision, and 401K. IMSG is an Equal Opportunity Employer and Veteran friendly.
Click here to apply
Please mention that you saw the job on Issues in Science and Technology